A good read

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith















Is there such a thing as too much of a good book? This is the last in the series (though second in order of publishing) of the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series that I'm reading and I'm beginning to tire of the simple, uncomplicated plotlines which miraculously resolve themsselves before the 220th page is reached.
In Tears of the Giraffe, an American mother contacts Mma Ramotswe to help find her son who has gone missing for 10 years. Mma Ramotswe finds her life in danger when her fiance Mr J L B Matekoni's maid has had enough of her. There's also a client who suspects his wife of infidelity. All of these issues conclude satisfactorily and in the last page we also find out the reason for the title. Awww...
As always, the characters are finely etched and the humour is gentle. But is it all too easy? And the way Africa and Botswana in particular is portrayed, seems (at times and because of the repetition) patronising. Like a tourist's view of a country. Superficial and on the surface.
Oh dear! I knew I shouldn't have overdosed on this series. Ah well, will try something meatier next time.

2 Comments:

  • I absolutely share your feelings on this series it is plot-free but good writing just the same.

    By Blogger tris, at 11:20 AM  

  • I agree with you. When I read my first No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book, I loved every word of it that I read through the first four at a stretch in two days. It was a couple of months later that I read the fifth one and I was bored by its uniformity.

    By Blogger ART, at 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
© 2004-2005 ammania@gmail.com All Rights Reserved